Although a transmission problem can manifest itself in a number of ways, any issues you may be experiencing with your gearshift are a good indicator of transmission trouble. Below are just a few of the signs that your transmission is failing to function at maximum capacity:
- Burning smell coming from your air vents
- Strange noise when transmission is in neutral
- Grinding and crunching sounds (manual only)
- Car refuses to go into gear, even after the clutch is depressed and the stick shift is moved (manual only)
- Dragging clutch, which means the clutch will not fully disengage when you change gears (manual only)
- Car slips out of gear
- Hesitation while shifting
- Unsteady shifting or shimmying in the ride of your vehicle (automatic only)
- Leaking transmission fluid
- “Check Engine” light goes off
- And many others
If any of these issues sound familiar, it may be time for a transmission inspection from one of our auto repair specialists in Fayetteville, New Bern, Greenville, Elizabeth City, Ahoskie, Edenton, Plymouth, Williamston or Wilson, NC, as well as Richmond, Norfolk, Newport News or Suffolk, VA.
In addition to occasional service inspections, we recommend regular maintenance of your transmission to keep your car running smoothly — and to prevent major (and often costly) transmission problems from occurring down the road.
Transmission Trouble? We Service Both Manual & Automatic Transmissions.
Manual Transmission Service
If you drive stick shift, you know how important it is to keep your manual transmission regularly maintained. Through Colony Tire’s expert transmission services in North Carolina and Virginia, including filter replacements, fluid replacements and more, we’re committed to keeping your car running smoothly for years to come.
Clutch issues? We also offer clutch checks, adjustments and replacements. Your manual clutch will typically last between 50,000 and 100,000 miles, depending on driving habits, vehicle model and more.
Automatic Transmission Service
Although transmission problems can be more difficult to diagnose than manual problems, the trained mechanics at Colony Tire have years of experience working with all aspects of automatic transmissions, including refills, reseals, rebuilds and replacements.
Don’t spend money on needless repairs by taking your car to an auto shop that won’t get your transmission repairs done right the first time — take your car to your local Colony Tire car care center!